Victor Yocco is an author, speaker, and UX researcher. Part of his niche is that he frequently speaks and writes about the application of psychology to design by addressing the culture promoting alcohol use in design and technology fields. His passion is to make a positive difference to both product end-users, and his colleagues experiencing issues of alcohol and substance abuse or addiction. He recently published his book ““Design for the Mind: Seven Psychological Principles of Persuasive Design” that addresses the psychology of great design from both the aspect of creator and consumer. We discuss with Victor his inspiring story and how his approach to a sober life, business and design makes a difference for those he works with.
Here are some is the great insights he shares from our conversation:
1. He is the first guy to approach Rules of Success willing to about sobriety an important part of the creative process.
2. His book is a tool for creators and consumers; warning of the psychological pitfalls in deliberate design.
3. We all approach digital media with our psychological needs of the moment.
4. What you feel and how you experience design is just as important as what you read or see. Plan accordingly as a creator.
5. Overlooking design and the persuasion of design is akin to not wanting people to use your product.
6. Persuasion + the mechanism + reassurance = ease of sale. i.e. Turbo Tax
7. “..take the cognitive load away from the user..”
8. The sunken cost principle is real to getting consumers to buy. Creating something where they’ve invested their time before they buy; they’ll buy
8. In design, seek to understand the intention of the ‘creator’ and in your creations, seek to share your intention.
9. You never know who’s reading or consuming your content.
10. You can never just let go of a bad habit. You have to replace that bad habit with a supportive habit.
11. We can be real, alcohol removes your inhibitions. However, it’s not a well you can keep going back to successfully.
You can find his book at Manning.com.. Search for “Design for the Mind.”
RulesofSuccess.com is your source for all links to iTunes, direct streaming and our blog. Please be sure to subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes AND subscribe to our list for other free resources delivered right to your inbox. Be sure to check out ApplytheScience.com while you there!
For the personal blog of Bryce Prescott, visit IamMrPrescott.com for his passions and opinions outside of his business pursuits.
GoGnarly.com is where you find all that great, non-GMO nutrition based supplements that you hear about on this show. Check ‘em out!
QuitTripn.org a non-profit organization that provides support for teens and young adults that are going through all sorts of life stressors. Quit Trip’n holds face to face support groups and events for young people to talk about whats going on in their life and connect with peers who can relate.
If or your teens are seeking to connect and be a part of a support organization that promotes life, health and happiness, visit QuitTripn.org to learn more.